I am strongly opposed to the franchising of Durham Crown Post Office on Silver Street and I will continue to campaign with the Communication Workers Union (CWU) and residents, during the Post Office’s consultation period, to oppose these plans.
I attended the Customer Forum on Tuesday 14 June to meet Post Office Ltd representatives to discuss their plans if franchising goes ahead. This would mean that Durham Crown Post Office will close and post offices services will be provided from within the WHSmith store, mainly on the lower ground floor. It was also the perfect opportunity for me to meet with members of the public to hear their views and concerns too. These are some of the points highlighted:
- Loss of the beautiful post office building suitable for a historic city like Durham
- Concerns that WHSmith will provide a full range of services for the city and for the university too
- There will be enough space to accommodate queues that emerge in Durham
- There will be adequate access including for people in wheelchairs and mums and dads with buggies
- People will have the privacy that they need
I will be writing to Post Office Ltd as part of the consultation process to convey our shared concerns.
I would urge members of the public to come forward and contribute to the consultation and have their say before the 6th July. I know from the many letters and emails I have received how important the Durham Crown Post Office is to many people and I will stand firm on my commitment to stand up against these proposals.